 Off-Topic / Debate / 11055
Re: Now: Women Was: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:59:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Katie Dokken writes:

If the question is meaningless, then why is the Libertarian Party almost
exclusively white male?  I'm not meaning that as a personal attack - I just
am curious if you have an opinion as to why.  A failing on minorities and
women to understand the Libertarian message?
Bruce

Us "women" do understand the message.  You think I have time to be active in
the Libertarian party?  I'm too danged busy fighting all the other stereotypes
out there, such as, I'm supposed to be the size of Kate Moss and all the other
starving women pictured on magazines, I'm supposed to be some major "career"
woman at the same time fighting up the ladder to be CEO of some firm, yet I'm
also supposed to be Susie Homemaker a la, that nasty Martha Stewart?  I'm
supposed to be "soccer mom" and a bazillion other stereotypes I'm fighting
every single day just to try and be me!  I can't even shop in the hardware
store in peace without getting nailed by some male jerk wanting to help a
"little lady" like myself, the inference being that a woman wouldn't know a
thing about hardware or wood.  Let alone all the males that think I shouldn't
play with Trains or Lego.  And you have the nerve to complain that there aren't
more women in the LP?

I tell you what.  I'll volunteer for the LP starting the day that I don't have
to work my butt off at some glass ceilinged job, spend 4 hours commuting each
day, and then have some lazy ass man sitting at home expecting me to feed and
walk the dogs, feed him, clean up after him, entertain him, hear about "his"
day, and then have time and energy left over for "extra activities" (ie: sex),
ya, that will be the day I  have time to participate in the LP.  As far as the
LP message goes, I get it just fine.

Katie

I think there are many pressures on men too. Modern man does not just go out
and to a bit of huntin' and gatherin' - he also has to do all other sorts of
other stuff. Both men & women are hounded by media images of what we should
do/want/feel/be etc etc –it is up to us to ignore them.

I think you are correct if you are saying it is still a man’s world.
However, I think my generation is used to the fact that women have opinions,
can count and can even act alone. However, my generation is not running the
world yet. A fair amount of those who are running it either do discriminate
against women, or make clumsy efforts at positive female discrimination –
neither of which is good. Although, within the EU/UK we have good
anti-discrimination laws which protect everyone in the employment market.

hmm a "soccer mom" sounds good, where can I buy one?

Scott A