 Off-Topic / Debate / 11043
Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:03:10 GMT

My point is that while that is true NOW we would be foolish to let it be so
for a billion, a million, or even a thousand years longer. Manifest destiny!
Ad Astra Per Aspera. Our destiny is not to remain here, every single one of
us, for the rest of our days. Our destiny is to explore. Man is an explorer
and a creator, not just a resident.

Yup! Small steps leading to bigger, and bigger steps. Think of how far we've
come just in one century!

At the same time, as Carl Sagan said, we are still in our stage of "global
infancy" and need to get past the petty, destructive differences that also
brought so much death and misery in the last century. I have high hopes, my
friend, and the future is something worth living and dying for, in my opinion.

<snipped my comments>

Nobody's arguing that. It certainly began here. I'm just saying that it
shouldn't end here.

Exactly!

snipped my comments>

And so I shall, now that you've recanted, or at least softened from its
emphatic certainty, your original statement. Thanks for the clarification.
(I see it as a change in meaning, but you of course may not)

People interpret things in many ways. Our bias toward the author tends to
flavor our response and criticism. I recall this one time on LUGNET when
somebody (can't remember who, maybe you might?) was commenting favorably on
a quote another LUGNETer offered and asked who said that. He told him it was
Stalin, if I remember right, and the other guy was kind of surprised and
changed his mind a little.

Dan