 Off-Topic / Debate / 11044
Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:21:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
People interpret things in many ways. Our bias toward the author tends to
flavor our response and criticism. I recall this one time on LUGNET when
somebody (can't remember who, maybe you might?) was commenting favorably on
a quote another LUGNETer offered and asked who said that. He told him it was
Stalin, if I remember right, and the other guy was kind of surprised and
changed his mind a little.

Selçuk both gave the quote, and couldn't remember who said it. Either way
though, I still like the quote in its out-of-Stalin context. ("The death of
one is a tregedy, the death of millions is a stastic.) The way Stalin used
it, it's horrifying, but it's still sad and true. It is part of the reason I
try to pass on the personal message of the Holocaust (which was where this
came up, remember that thread?).

-Shiri