 Off-Topic / Debate / 11118
Re: boulders on shoulders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:54:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Katie Dokken writes:
Katie, at the risk of enflaming your obvious passion on this issue, have
you been reading Bruce's clarifications (and/or mine) of Bruce's original
point?

At the risk of starting another thread, I have been reading the posts, but this
whole new thing of reading a post, responding, then going and downloading my
email, pulling up the emailed link for the posting, clicking on the button to
post the response, and then coming back to Lugnet to figure out just where you
were in the whole thread thing, is really getting old fast.  I did originally
respond to the first post but it didn't go through.  Maybe its still stuck in
my email, I have no idea.

He's several times rephrased the original post, but it seems that
you're irritated at a misreading of his message.  Bruce did not say that
women and minorities don't get the LP message.  He's saying (and has said
numerous times) that women and minorities *do* get the LP message, but they
don't think it's convincing or viable.

And I disagree.  I do get the message and I may or may not agree with some or
all of it, and my "lack" of participation in the LP has nothing to do with
whether or not I agree with the message or think that its "convincing or
viable".  I'm not involved in any party at all.  I know some people say that
its every citizens duty to be involved in their government but many of us
aren't, though I do vote.  And unless Bruce is a woman or a minority, just how
can he presume to know how "we" feel about it?

I meant it as something of a joke, but I see I was correct: that ain't a
chip on your shoulder, it's a boulder!

If you are a Libertarian who can't be bothered, that's a personal problem of
yours.  If you are saying there are hordes of Libertarian women who can't be
bothered, that sounds like a lame excuse in light of the Republican,
Democratic, Green, and other parties ability to get women registered.  If
you have some other point to make about it - what does what I had to say
have to do with it?  You weren't running on about conditions in general -
your comments were very specifically aimed at me.

As to your earlier point that I was somehow complaining about the lack of
women in the Libertarian Party, that was merely an observation, not a
complaint.  You misinterpreted and seem to have taken it as a personal
affront.  As to understanding how a group feels even if you aren't one of
them - gosh, all you have to do is ask and listen a bit!  Not everyone does,
and not everyone lives in such a diverse area as I do even if they have the
desire.

Bruce