 Off-Topic / Fun / 7544
Re: Doh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:18:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Low writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Anyways, WOW, Larry used "doi!"  I haven't seen or said that in
  at least 15 years.  It's right up there with "durrrrrrr"!  It is
  in my experience a derivative of "duh," but only in the sense
  of "well, *duh*"--sarcasm, usually applied to the self.  I know
  my sister and I switched over to it when our exaggerated "duuuuh"
  and handflapping made my mother a bit annoyed because we were
  "picking on the handicapped."  (Saying something was "retarded"
  garnered the same admonishment.)  So it's sort of like "D'oh" for
  "d--n"--with an analagous relationship to "duh".  But that's just
  my opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Hey, now that you mention it, wasn't there a character in Archie comics
called "Big Moose", a big dumb blond guy (please, no offense anyone!) who was
always scratching his head and saying, "Duh..."?

"Durrr!!" is a playground favorite in Australia, usually accompanied by the
tongue in the lower lip, and "Durr-brain" is a fairly common insult. Like
"you spastic!!" it's a disability based putdown.

They say "durrr!" a lot in "Bridget Jones' Diary" (the book-- I haven't seen
the movie), which takes place in greater London, I believe.  They also seem to
like to say "Chuh!"-- whatever THAT means....

Maggie