 Off-Topic / Fun / 7530
Re: Doh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 05:54:22 GMT

The other morning, Dan Castellaneta, the guy who voices Homer, was a guest on a
radio show I was listening to.(1) He explained the orgins of D'oh!

Here's what my sleepy brain remembers:

The script called for Homer to make a frustrated grunt. Dan thought about it
and remembered an old time actor, I can't remeber who he said it was, who used
to have a saying that was "D'..aw" or something similar. (The reason that actor
said "D'aw" was because he would say it in a situation where he wanted to say
Dam*, but at the time that word wasn't allowed to be spoken in films).

Dan remembered that actor and his "D'aw" and turned it into Homer's "D'oh!".

Now you know, more or less, mostly more, where "D'oh" came from :)

Julie

In town for a show titled "where did Vincent van Gohe?"

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  But I wonder where the genesis of "Doh" is.  "Duh" comes from
  a syllable attributed to the slow-witted, and is imitative in
  its origin.  Is "Doh!" really a complete Homerism?

  best

  LFB

Found this quote from the Iliad:

Achilles spear flashed and caught Hector in the neck,
Hector uttered a final "Doh!" from the gates of Hades, and fell, thunderously.

So, yes, Doh! is a complete Homerism.

Bruce
Lost somewhere on the wine-dark sea (is that refractive, reflective or
simply too big a crop of grapes?)