 Off-Topic / Fun / 7541
Re: Doh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:01:51 GMT

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message
news:GFBFF7.L4n@lugnet.com...

   Anyways, WOW, Larry used "doi!"  I haven't seen or said that in
   at least 15 years.  It's right up there with "durrrrrrr"!  It is
   in my experience a derivative of "duh," but only in the sense
   of "well, *duh*"--sarcasm, usually applied to the self.  I know
   my sister and I switched over to it when our exaggerated "duuuuh"
   and handflapping made my mother a bit annoyed because we were
   "picking on the handicapped."  (Saying something was "retarded"
   garnered the same admonishment.)  So it's sort of like "D'oh" for
   "d--n"--with an analagous relationship to "duh".  But that's just
   my opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Handflapping...like, taking your hand in the horizontal position across your
chest, positioning all your finger down, and hitting your chest repeatedly
with it?  Aah, one of the great childish putdowns, and something I forget
about a lot :-)  Of course, its not PC, but for a kid, is anything?

Maggie - I see the difference between 'doh' and 'duh' as:

'doh' - a Homerism, usually an exclamation, often meaning something like
'ack! I forgot this/this didn't happen the way I thought it would/etc'  A
general exclamation of shock at a mistake one made.

'duh' - dunno where it originated, besides on the playground.  Putting
someone down because of overlooking something/saying something stupid/acting
stupid.  'well, duh!' 'no duhhhh' 'duh, that's easy' etc.  I think this is
more disability based than 'doh' is.  'Doh' also isn't a putdown, its
something you say relating to your own actions.

I think I've gotten this right, and I hope it helps :-) [1]

-Tim

[1] If I didn't get the definitions right, what would I say? ;-)