 Off-Topic / Fun / 7531
Re: Doh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:10:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  Duh imples disdain or the presence of Captain Obvious
  on an exam paper, which is why I've occasionally put on a paper
  (most notably when a student said "Polish is the primary language
  of Poland."  Well, duh!).  I think "Duh" is also a lot older,
  at least 50 or 60 years.

  But I wonder where the genesis of "Doh" is.  "Duh" comes from
  a syllable attributed to the slow-witted, and is imitative in
  its origin. Is "Doh!" really a complete Homerism?

I'm scrambling to find an online reference, but I read in the paper
yesterday that "D'oh" in that form is indeed a Homerism (or, more correctly,
a Castellaneta-ism), but it's a modification of "Do-o-o-o" used Laurel and
Hardy films, where it was "an obvious euphemism for damn."  Castellaneta
himself supplies this reference in the article I read, but I'm still looking
for a link to that specific quote.

   It also shows up as a variant of the syllable "Do" as in "Do,
   a deer..."

By the way, I earned a "duh!" on one of my elementary school papers when I
made the inciteful observation that "mountain gorillas live in the

   "Inciteful?"  Get thee to a .punnery!  :)

mountains, and lowland gorillas live in the lowlands."  It's a wonder I'm
not a primatologist!

   You should grade college level history papers!  Trust me, I'll
   be gracing .o-t.fun with a hefty heaping of (anonymous) howlers
   over the next few months, have no doubt.  Of course, I think
   I would have expected an "inciteful" paper to include some
   off-color remark appended to "mountain [mountin'] gorillas",
   indicating what they generally spend their time doing...and
   unlike Fido romancing one's leg, this is much less easy to
   avoid.

   "Potatoe Famine:  A time when the ground would not produce
   potatoes."  (One guy did go off on a much more interesting
   rant about how much everyone liked potatoes but said nothing
   about the whole famine angle...)

   best

   LFB