 Off-Topic / Fun / 7508
Re: Doh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:49:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Maggie Cambron writes:

Doh!

That's a recognized English word now.  I wish I were still in college so I
could use it in a paper!

The semester after I got my M.A. in English our comp exams were made available
for everyone to view (no names!).  As I looked through them I noticed one
professor wrote "Duh!"(1) in the margin to comment on what someone had written
(no, it wasn't my paper!).

(1) variant form

   I'm not sure "Duh" is a variant form of "Doh" (or verse-vica,
   vice-versey, victor-victoria). I've heard Homer say "Duuuuu-uh!"
   before, and the context is decidedly different.  Doh attends
   misfortune (usually as an exaggeration, as when someone drops
   a donut), Duh imples disdain or the presence of Captain Obvious
   on an exam paper, which is why I've occasionally put on a paper
   (most notably when a student said "Polish is the primary language
   of Poland."  Well, duh!).  I think "Duh" is also a lot older,
   at least 50 or 60 years.

   But I wonder where the genesis of "Doh" is.  "Duh" comes from
   a syllable attributed to the slow-witted, and is imitative in
   its origin.  Is "Doh!" really a complete Homerism?

   best

   LFB