 Off-Topic / Debate / 11136
Re: boulders on shoulders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:12:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

I've been re-reading your original and unsnipped post. It's taken me a
while, but I may have just sorted out what you were trying to say. I still
find it to be an inflammatory question, although I now think it to be mostly
rhetorical. Am I getting warmer?

It wasn't meant as rhetorical - it was a searching question.  It most
certainly wasn't a statement of the way things are.  Examples tossed out for
discussion - there could be other possiblities that I hadn't thought of, nor
was I trying to present what I did as an exhaustive list of possiblities.  I
wasn't trying to say that women and minorities were incapable of
understanding the Libertarian ideals (my wife would be hitting me on both
counts, if that was the case <g>), just that those ideals may not have been
fully covered (not everyone reads the same things or moves in the same
circles for example, which is more along the lines I was thinking).

I think Katie just vented some pent-up frustration and unfortunately >>>>Bruce's post was the catalyst.

  Well, I'd like to let Katie speak for herself (and Bruce can likewise
correct my interpretations of his posts if I am incorrect) but it's odd to
me that a post from one of the biggest local opponents against
Libertarianism is singled out as if it were a recruitment poster for the >party.

Very odd - so odd one most wonder if she could in fact be mistaken?  Read my
post that Katie originally responded to.  Tell me specifically why you think
it is a "recruitment poster" (I hear Larry laughing his butt off somewhere).
I can respond to that.  If you can come up with something concrete, let me
know.  Vague insinuations just muddy the waters further.

Hmmm... Not a quote from my post.

Oops.  Dave.  Read it wrong.  Banging head against wall.  Doh!  My fault.

Bruce