 Off-Topic / Fun / 7512
Re: Doh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:30:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  Duh imples disdain or the presence of Captain Obvious
  on an exam paper, which is why I've occasionally put on a paper
  (most notably when a student said "Polish is the primary language
  of Poland."  Well, duh!).  I think "Duh" is also a lot older,
  at least 50 or 60 years.

  But I wonder where the genesis of "Doh" is.  "Duh" comes from
  a syllable attributed to the slow-witted, and is imitative in
  its origin. Is "Doh!" really a complete Homerism?

I'm scrambling to find an online reference, but I read in the paper
yesterday that "D'oh" in that form is indeed a Homerism (or, more correctly,
a Castellaneta-ism), but it's a modification of "Do-o-o-o" used Laurel and
Hardy films, where it was "an obvious euphemism for damn."  Castellaneta
himself supplies this reference in the article I read, but I'm still looking
for a link to that specific quote.

Well, I would believe this, since I rarely watch the Simpsons, and, come to
think of it, the people I hear utter the word "d'oh" are largely people who
do watch the show.

I found one reference which discusses both words, but I'm not sure what they
are saying and please be warned, while it appears benign to me it is from a
site in Denmark and one of the few words I could make out was "sexuelle."

http://www.eksperten.dk/spm/48160

Maggie