 Off-Topic / Fun / 7537
Re: Doh!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 04:23:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  But I wonder where the genesis of "Doh" is.  "Duh" comes from
  a syllable attributed to the slow-witted, and is imitative in
  its origin.

Actually, the way I understood it, "duh" originates from the Russian "yes"
(dah)... as in, duh = "yeah yeah yeah..." I'm not sure if that is true, but
in Israel we tend to have jokes about that, us having tons of Russian
immigrants and so forth... so I thought that might have been the original.
But then again, in Hebrew the long "a" sound and the short "u" sound are
pronounce dthe same... so go figure.

That sounds as good as any other explanation.  But how about this:  is the
word used in the following post

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=7329

a variant of "duh" or "doh" or just a typo?  Or should I be asking the actual
author of the post (who would most likely never admit to the third
possibility)?  And Lindsay, please don't tell me it is none of the above-- I'm
feeling sauternine enough at having failed to distinguish the difference
between doh and duh.

Maggie