 Off-Topic / Debate / 11036
Re: McViegh is no Libertarian
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 00:38:43 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
- people ought to be fre to eat meat if they so choose. They should not be
prevented from choosing to buy products that contain animal products if
suppliers are willing to provide them, with the proviso that the suppliers
ought to be required to produce the products without cruelty or unnecessary
suffering to the animals

Just curious on this last bit. One thing I've struggled with some is
where it is appropriate for the law to step in. How much should the law
step in to prevent animal cruelty, and how do we chose that line. This
type of dilema strikes me as one area the Libertarian ideal of free
market ought to be capable of finding the line (i.e. don't trample
disclosure, and let folks decide how much cruelty they're willing to
stand in the products they use).

As you mention in a later post, you're inclined to not regulate labeling
by other than free market means, and I tend to agree there. I think we
could easily develop certifying agencies which would be quite capable of
guaranteeing our products (as has been mentioned in the past, there is
already at least one such well known agency, UL [actually there are many
examples, film ratings are another example]). Trademark law provides
adequate protection for their stamps of approval. Fraud can of course
also be prosecuted as necessary.

Frank