 Off-Topic / Debate / 11060
Re: Is the sky blue in Libertopia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:51:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Jardine writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Jardine writes:

Actually... Although water and the sky appear blue for the same reason, it is
not directly related to water itself (in vapour or liquid form).  Oxygen,
nitrogen, and water molecules are all approximately the same size, which
happens to be just big enough to scatter blue light.  Longer wavelengths of
light are not affected as much, and they mostly keep right on going.

"(we'll skip the dicussion on light absorbtion and leave it for some
anal-retentive type)" (restored snip)

I knew some anal-retentive type would take the bait....
:-)

?

But I didn't even mention absorption!  Blathering on about absorption when
discussing a phenomenon that is entirely due to scattering - now THAT would
be anal-retentive.  ;)

Jeff J

You're only proving my point.  :-)

Beside, the sky isn't blue.