 CAD / Development / 5207
5206  |  5208
Subject:
Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:30:28 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

  I'd like to propose an official license for the LDraw parts, I think
this is something that has been mentioned before but we didn't get very
far in the past. This is important now that there are plans to create am
LDraw CD-ROM and I need this because LeoCAD is going to be included in
the Debian Linux distribution in the future.

  The license should express two important points in my opinion:

  - A person is free to use and redistribute the parts (a small fee may
be charged to cover media costs).
  - If a person makes any changes to the files then this person must
publish his changes back to the community using the original license.

  Optional condition: The parts can only be used by free programs.
(don't know if this is really needed but I wouldn't mind it for my
parts)

  It would be nice if we could come up with a license and get everyone
who created parts to agree with it. The license should also be part of
the requirements for new parts. Any suggestions ?

Leonardo