 CAD / Development / 5225
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:04:25 GMT

A few suggested changes. IANAL and IANAPA (not a Parts Author).

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:

5. If ldraw.org permanently ceases to publish or distribute the Library, all
licenses to the works contained in the library will be revoked.

What is the intent here? To allow others to carry on if ldraw.org goes kaput?
In that case c/will be revoked/will lapse/. That means that ldraw.org rights
to the stuff cease to exist, but the original rights that the authors had
continue on. I think.

If the intent is that if ldraw.org goes bust, everyone else no longer has
rights, word it differently. But that's a bad intent so I suspect it's not
what you mean.

6. If ldraw.org permanently ceases to publish or distribute the Library, all
user licenses granted by ldraw.org will remain in effect.

This is too parallel with the last clause, which is why I suggested rewording
the last (5.) clause.

<contributor terms>
6. The contributor grants ldraw.org a non-exclusive, unrevokable license to
the work.
c /unrevokable/paid up, non-revokable/ everywhere that "unrevokable" is used.

"paid up" is important to insert as I can grant you a license which you
accept, but which requires a payment. until you pay, you're not paid up. By
stating paid up, it reinforces that this is a free license.

<general comments>

I oppose preventing commercial programs from using the library. This is a bad
policy and I'm glad to see Steve agrees. c.f. what a mess we would have if
Java (or GNU C++) could not be used in commercial programs.

I would like to see something in this that explicitly addresses that point,
and further, clarifies that USERS can use the parts in renderings which they
copyright. That is, if use of ldraw parts means I can't assert a copyright on
instructions I produce, that would be a very bad thing indeed.

++Lar