 CAD / Development / 5248
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:11:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<contributor terms>
6. The contributor grants ldraw.org a non-exclusive, unrevokable license to
the work.
c /unrevokable/paid up, non-revokable/ everywhere that "unrevokable" is used.

"paid up" is important to insert as I can grant you a license which you
accept, but which requires a payment. until you pay, you're not paid up. By
stating paid up, it reinforces that this is a free license.

Can we c/paid up/no-charge/?

They're different. Paid up means that even if a fee is instituted at some
point, the current license holders are covered. No charge doesn't carry that
meaning. Paid up is a special term used in this sort of gobbledegook.

And is there a significant difference between
"unrevokable" and non-revokable?

Yes. One is grammatically incorrect. :-)

I oppose preventing commercial programs from using the library. This is a bad
policy and I'm glad to see Steve agrees. c.f. what a mess we would have if
Java (or GNU C++) could not be used in commercial programs.

I would like to see something in this that explicitly addresses that point,

Hmm.  I can see a few different ways that 'commercial programs' would 'use'
the library:

1. They would read the files in order to generate renderings.  IOW, they'd
be LDraw-compatible.  Is that really a concern of the license for the
library?  It seems like this would be an issue of licensing the LDraw
graphics description language.[1]

Yes and no, one could conceive of a program being ldraw compatible but not
being able to use the current library of parts, that is, having to create a
whole new library in the same format. That would be a terrible outcome. The
library license should be explicit in ensuring that does not need to happen.

2. They'd include the library in their distribution, in order to accomplish
#1.  In this case, it would be a redistribution, and should be covered by
the redistribution rules.

Distribution and use are two different things. It is possible (far fetched,
but possible) that one could be licensed to distribute something that one was
not licensed to use. This sort of silliness needs to be avoided. It's common
sense that if you have the right to distribute you have the right to use, but
common sense doesn't apply to licenses, at least that's been my experience.

and further, clarifies that USERS can use the parts in renderings which they
copyright. That is, if use of ldraw parts means I can't assert a copyright on
instructions I produce, that would be a very bad thing indeed.

Aye.  Or aye, aye.  And that model-files are completely copyrighted by
their authors, no strings attached.  And it should probably be explicitly
stated that users can use any program they'd like.  Sounds cheesy when
stated like that, but it needs to be said.

This is a good start at a license but this sort of nitpicking is needed to
ensure it is right. Once the license is in force it is very very hard to
change.

++Lar