 CAD / Development / 5224
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:48:01 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:

- If a person makes any changes to the files then this person must
publish his changes back to the community using the original license.

I'm not sure this is practical.  It also may not be enforceable.

  A lot of licenses work that way. Maybe I used the word "publish"
wrong, I want to make sure that if someone fixes a bug in a part, he's
forced to send his fixes to ldraw.org and allow everyone to use them.

Someone may 'modify' the library in a way that ldraw.org can't use.  For
example, they may do a mechanical conversion of the files to a binary format,
perhaps in a single file.  Ldraw.org wouldn't have any use for that.

  That's the case of LeoCAD and L3P but I wouldn't consider it a
modification, it's simply a conversion to another format.

Maybe we should make it go this way:

1. The user may modify the library for their[1] own use.

2. The user may redistribute the library in any format, as long as the content
remains essentially unchanged. (this would allow the example I gave above).

3. If the user wants to redistribute content modifications, they must submit
these changes to ldraw.org.  If the changes are accepted, then the user can
redistribute the new version of the library.  If the changes are not accepted,
the user cannot distribute the changes as part of the library.

  I agree with all 3 points. Reading my message again I see that it's
basically a 'me too' message...

Leonardo