 CAD / Development / 5242
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:07:47 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote:

The fact that ldraw.org is sometimes hard to reach for some people mean we
should definitely allow mirrors (maybe the mirrors need to have permission?)
Also, I think LCAD programmers should be allowed to modify the parts (like
Leonardo Zide does) to work with their own programs.  Maybe we should
require or request that the programmers make conversion programs (which go
both ways) avaiable.  Links back to ldraw.org should definitely be required,
at least to show respect to JJ.

  I only converted the original library to another format because it
gives a much faster rendering and James didn't want other people to
redistribute the files in the original format, he wanted to have people
download files from his page directly. When I told him I was using a
different format he told me it was ok to have the (converted) files on
my page but he asked for a link pointing to his page.

  Maybe those conditions should be added to the license because that's
what James told me at that time and we should respect his opinions but
things changed a lot since (LCAD is now much bigger).

  The part about having a program to convert both ways available could
also be included but we should not require the program to be distributed
with the library as this creates some confusion, we could request a
source file to be sent to ldraw.org instead.

Leonardo