 CAD / Development / 5220
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:37:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:

- If a person makes any changes to the files then this person must
publish his changes back to the community using the original license.

I'm not sure this is practical.  It also may not be enforceable.

Someone may 'modify' the library in a way that ldraw.org can't use.  For
example, they may do a mechanical conversion of the files to a binary format,
perhaps in a single file.  Ldraw.org wouldn't have any use for that.

Also, ldraw.org must be able to reject any contributions (typically for
reasons of quality or (in)compatibility).  If a modification is rejected, it
wouldn't be covered under the terms of any license, so the user wouldn't be
able to redistribute the change as part of the Library.  This is a big
limitation on being able to modify the files.

Maybe we should make it go this way:

1. The user may modify the library for their[1] own use.

2. The user may redistribute the library in any format, as long as the content
remains essentially unchanged. (this would allow the example I gave above).

3. If the user wants to redistribute content modifications, they must submit
these changes to ldraw.org.  If the changes are accepted, then the user can
redistribute the new version of the library.  If the changes are not accepted,
the user cannot distribute the changes as part of the library.

That covers all those bases, I think.  The problem is with rejected changes.
If the user changes it some more, must they resubmit?  I suppose they would
have to...

--
Steve

1) Sorry for misusing 'their' and 'they' as third-person, non-gendered
singular, but I like it better than 'his or her', 'his/her' or 'his/er'.