 CAD / Development / 5259
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:15:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:

I must admit also that I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea that
someone who fixes a flawed part is "forced" to republish the corrected
version.  I believe Steve has already addressed the unenforceability of such
a demand, but I wanted to echo that sentiment as well.

Why do you think that way ? If the person was writing a new part then
he could use any license he wanted but he's using someone else's work
and IMO it's fair to give the original author the same rights that he
gave you.

  Maybe we're talking about two different things.  If I find a "defective"
part and fix it for my own use, why should I have to publish it?  I'm not
taking credit for anyone else's work, especially since no one else is using
it.  That would be like hand-correcting a typo you found in a book and
thereafter being required to republish the book under your own name, giving
credit to the original author.  For that matter, even if I publish an MPD
using my "corrected" part, am I required to identify the altered part and its
author?  Where would it end?  And, anyway, how do you propose we "force" the
offender to license his work?
  Similarly, if I edit a "defective" licensed part and then publish my
correction on a webpage or wherever, giving credit in the part-heading to the
original author, why should I be forced to license my own part, even as a
derivative work?  If I don't intend the part to become part of the official
library, why would anyone even care (again, assuming I gave credit to the
original author).  If that's the case, then I would like every model made with
any part I write to include a mention of my contribution.

     Dave!