 CAD / Development / 5276
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:16:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Steve:

5. If ldraw.org permanently ceases to publish or distribute the Library, all
licenses to the works contained in the library will be revoked.

I have a strong dislike for revokable licenses. I think
this paragraph should be dropped.

I suggested a reword for it. However I'm not sure your likes and dislikes are
germane. The intent of this paragraph is to ensure that if LDraw.org should
cease to exist, it is clear what should happen. That is, that the rights
should revert and no successor org has rights without reacquiring them.

Like Larry said, I included item II.5 in order to deal with the case of
ldraw.org.  I understand how Jacob feels about revokable licenses, but I'm
OK with this idea, because ldraw.org is the party which is terminating the
license.  Maybe it would be better to just state, "ldraw.org may terminate
the license at any time".

I don't particularly like the idea of the LCAD Library 'evaporating',
because the licenses to each of the contributed works have lapsed.  But
existing licenses to use and redistribute the library would continue to
exist, so someone else could still set up a system to maintain and further
the library -- they'd just have to change the name.

Oh, one other thing I just thought of. IS this what we want to have happen? Or
does the "defunct" Ldraw.org need to "retain" rights in order to preserve
them? I dunno.

I dunno either.  Another problem of a non-organized organization.  If we
don't exist, we can't dissolve, or reform.

Also, we need to check to make sure that using non-exclusive is sufficient,
that is, do we have a position on other organizations that may come into
existance, or on what else parts authors can do with their parts? I'm thinking
we should not try to prevent either.

I agree.

Steve