 CAD / Development / 5213
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:38:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:

Sounds interesting.  I would rather see it under something like Perl's
Artistic License than GPL, though.  How do you define "programs"?  And
the license should be careful not to preclude the possibility of LEGO using
or interfacing with the parts somehow someday.

TLC won't use our parts directly (interfacing maybe) but even if they
want to, they can use the parts as long as they use the unmodified
version or publish their changes under our license.

What Todd (and I) were commenting on was this (optional) provision:

Optional condition: The parts can only be used by free programs.
(don't know if this is really needed but I wouldn't mind it for my
parts)

Which is different from your statement above, and would block TLC from using
the parts unless their program was free.

Before finalizing the licenses, it would be adviseable to have a lawyer look at
them and point out any not necessarily totally obvious things which they will
allow or block.

One problem with the open source style of development is that if you get your
licensing wrong, you can somewhat screw yourself. Once many people have
contributed to a work, it may be almost impossible to change the licensing as
you would require agreement from everyone whose work is protected before
changing the agreement (this is one reason the "work for hire" category exists
which allows a corporation to be the "owner" of work done on their behalf).

Frank