 CAD / Development / 5240
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:12:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:
It would be nice if we could come up with a license and get everyone
who created parts to agree with it. The license should also be part of
the requirements for new parts. Any suggestions ?

  I haven't contributed many parts to the library, so I've been keeping my
trap shut throughout all of this, but I'm a little curious about a few
points.  What would happen if someone were to create a part but for some
reason didn't want it to be licensed?  I can understand that it likely
wouldn't be included in the official library, but would its publishing
preclude others from licensing similar DAT files?
  If, for instance, I were to write the DAT for the Timmy torso, but for some
zany reason didn't want it licensed, how could someone else thereafter license
the part without arguably plagiarizing my file (other than creating a
demonstrably different DAT file from scratch, which could be a battle in
itself).  What, for that matter, would happen if the licensed part were
found/shown to be substantially similar to the original, non-licensed part?
Or, alternatively, is there some provision inherent in the LCAD file format
that makes parts automatically licensed once published, even if those parts
aren't ultimately admitted to the library? Might this situation not lead to a
small but significant number of unofficial parts that for reasons of propriety
couldn't be licensed and therefore would remain absent from the official
roster?
  I must admit also that I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea that
someone who fixes a flawed part is "forced" to republish the corrected
version.  I believe Steve has already addressed the unenforceability of such a
demand, but I wanted to echo that sentiment as well.

  Just a few thoughts...

     Dave!