 CAD / Development / 5250
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:09:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Steve:

5. If ldraw.org permanently ceases to publish or distribute the Library, all
licenses to the works contained in the library will be revoked.

I have a strong dislike for revokable licenses. I think
this paragraph should be dropped.

I suggested a reword for it. However I'm not sure your likes and dislikes are
germane. The intent of this paragraph is to ensure that if LDraw.org should
cease to exist, it is clear what should happen. That is, that the rights
should revert and no successor org has rights without reacquiring them.

The alternative, if the paragraph were omitted, is that some org may come into
existance, claim to be an LDraw successor, and start making claims about what
it can or cannot do. Being explicit, whether you personally like revokable
licenses or not, may protect the rights of the contributors better than making
the paragraph read in a way that satisfies your dislikes.

"... license to distribute the work according to this license."

c /license to distribute the work according to /right to distribute the work
under the terms/

Else you're being circular.

11. If a redistribution allows users direct access to the files contained in
the Library, then the republisher must grant users of the redistributed
Library the same rights granted to in this User Agreement.

Why not just "11. A republisher must grant users of the
redistributed Library the same rights as granted in this
User Agreement."?

What if the republisher doesn't use the material in source form? In that case
your change forces them to set up a distribution hub to make the source
available. Not good.

Also, (overzealous snipping means I removed the cite by mistake) on the bit
about charging a nominal fee for redistribution, this is common practice.
Disallowing it means you are enabling freeriders. This tends to discourage
people from even using the stuff in the first place, as GNU has learned.

++Lar

Jacob