 CAD / Development / 5222
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 20:54:25 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:G15GM6.L5C@lugnet.com...

Here's a first stab at a comprehensive contributor/ldraw.org/user license.
Geez, I'm glad IANAL.

Heh...great work so far!  I'll comment on points which I think need
clarification.

BTW, I think the "redistribution" bits should be reworked to clearly
split 'redistributions for the sake of redistributing the library'
from 'redistributions for the sake of including the library in a software
package'.

Probably so.

Part IV. User Terms.

1. Downloading or installing the Library denotes acceptance of the terms • of
this agreement.

2. Ldraw.org grants users a non-exclusive, unrevokable license to use the
Library for their personal or commercial endevours.

We probably need to clarify commercial endeavours, which would be acceptable
and which would not.  Say a project proposal might be acceptable, where
designing a commercial CAD program would not.

5. The user may redistribute the Library, in a modified or unmodified • form.
Such distribution may be stand-alone, or it may be included as part of an • LCAD
software package.

We should require registration of all redistributions - and an indication if
they're standalone or included in a package.  That way we can keep track of
where this is being distributed from - because ultimately it comes back to
us and we need a way of monitoring this distribution.

7. No fee may be charged for redistributing the Library, except for a • small
charge to cover the cost of redistribution.

Check out the povray.org licensing - I like what they have done with their
redistribution cost rules for POV.  We should set some sort of a dollar
limit.

8. If the Library is redistributed in an essentially modified form, the • user
may not label it as 'LCAD Parts Library'.  The user must identify 'LCAD • Parts
Library' as the source of the redistribution.

And they must register the redistribution with us.

Those are pretty much all of the changes that I see necessary here.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne