 CAD / Development / 5263
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:44:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
Distribution and use are two different things. It is possible (far fetched,
but possible) that one could be licensed to distribute something that one • was
not licensed to use. This sort of silliness needs to be avoided. It's common
sense that if you have the right to distribute you have the right to use, • but
common sense doesn't apply to licenses, at least that's been my experience.
[...]

LOL!  (It's a sad sort of silliness, but still humourous[1].)  Totally agree.

Ack. I just thought of an example of being licensed to distribute but not use.
It's an obvious one! Can you think of it too?  OK, think hard...

spacing so that the answer doesn't show up in the summary ...
spacing so that the answer doesn't show up in the summary ...
spacing so that the answer doesn't show up in the summary ...
spacing so that the answer doesn't show up in the summary ...
spacing so that the answer doesn't show up in the summary ...
spacing so that the answer doesn't show up in the summary ...
spacing so that the answer doesn't show up in the summary ...
spacing so that the answer doesn't show up in the summary ...
spacing so that the answer doesn't show up in the summary ...

<scrolling so it doesn't show up on the screen>

It's shareware! Most shareware licenses encourage unlimited redistribution but
constrain you from using the sw if you haven't paid the shareware fee.. so I
could EASILY be in the position of having my free trial expire, not having
paid the fee, and hence can't use it. But I still can (in fact, am encouraged
to) distribute it!

Wasn't that obvious?

[1] wow, both "humorous" (o/ou) and "humourous" (ou/ou) look funny. :-)

I agree... Is there a parallel word (to onomapoetic) for that effect?

++Lar