 CAD / Development / 5264
Re: Who are 'ldraw.org'? (was: Parts license)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 00:10:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

US copyright and IP law in this area is fairly clear, the only way to grant
rights or receive them is to have some sort of realization or structure or
existance. You can't grant rights to a mob that has no defined membership.

*Sigh*.  That's the answer to the question I didn't want to ask.

Right. But we'd be building cloud castles without it.

Before going on with replying to the rest of your post, I want to throw out
something for consideration:

Would it be possible to write the 'license' so that there's a direct
agreement between contributors and users, and leave the vague 'ldraw.org'
out of the picture, except as caretaker of the library?  Basically, by
making a contribution, the author agrees to grant a license to all users,
with terms X, Y, and Z?

Using common sense (a bad idea in this arena, I realize), this would mean
the library would be covered by a very large number of licenses, the number
of which would be either (# contributors) x (# users) or (# contributions)
x (# users), and w/could never be enumerated (unless we stared keeping
track of specific contributions).

What if someone declines to accept? What if someone modifies that license
slightly? With a structure and an org you have the power to reject. I think
this sort of license (IANAL!!!!!) is enforcable. But it may not be practical.

However. If the people who create the updates (via the mechanism of the parts
vote) don't accept parts to be voted on that don't accept the license as
written, and don't put parts in the update that didn't pass the vote (and
hence accepted the license as written), it might work.

Come to think of it, the GPL isn't between GNU and the author and the user.
It's between the author and the user and GNU doesn't have anything to do with
it. YA! Maybe it WILL work. All we need is for the people running the vote
(gee, who is that?) to go along. Can you convince that person, Steve? :-)

Oh, and whoever posts updates to the website.

How hard would it be to have a membership list for ldraw.org?  I'm thinking
of a webpage, something like:

Do you want to stand and be counted as a member of ldraw.org?  Then
complete and submit the following form!

Tag/Handle: [                  ]
Real Name: [                   ]
E-mail address: [                 ]

()add me to the roll  ()remove me from the roll ()change my info

[submit]

When someone signs up, their information is added to a file somewhere, and
we all cheerfully go on with our lives.

Is it a Good idea, or a Bad idea?  Not any sort of an idea?

Works for me. If the other one don't.

++Lar (who's actually been BUILDING today for the first day in a long time, as
opposed to sorting or cranking out copies of sets already designed, or
bookkeeping or factoring or buying parts, etc.)