 CAD / Development / 5252
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:20:14 GMT

Bram Lambrecht skrev i meddelandet ...
Also, I think LCAD programmers should be allowed to modify the parts (like
Leonardo Zide does) to work with their own programs.  Maybe we should
require or request that the programmers make conversion programs (which go
both ways) avaiable.

Is this always possible/wanted?

I have made a program (experimental as yet) that converts LDRAW parts to
BlockCAD format, but as BC can't use the level of detail that LDRAW gives, I
need to go through the converted part manually and remove a lot of (most :-)
surfaces (BC also doesn't have the same resolution as LDRAW, so many parts
come out as rubbish in BC).

Now, the BC parts are not interesting to the LDRAW audience, since a converted
BC part could never have the same quality level as a real LDRAW part,
therefore I have no program for that conversion.

What about the other way around? Someone comes out with a new drawing program
which adds more information to each part in the library (after converting the
LDRAW parts) - for example adding 'click points,' textures, using surface
primitives etc. etc. What's the use of 'converting' this library back to LDRAW
format, when all the added information is lost?

Just my SEK 0.02
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm