 CAD / Development / 5262
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:44:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
Distribution and use are two different things. It is possible (far fetched,
but possible) that one could be licensed to distribute something that one was
not licensed to use. This sort of silliness needs to be avoided. It's common
sense that if you have the right to distribute you have the right to use, but
common sense doesn't apply to licenses, at least that's been my experience.
[...]

LOL!  (It's a sad sort of silliness, but still humourous[1].)  Totally agree.

BTW, from my point of view, as a modelmaker, I wanna be able to use the
standard "official" parts and make renderings of them and supply those on
webpages as static images.  But someday I'd love to see someone make a
DAT-to-VRML converter (whatever happened to VRML, anyway?) or whatever
text-based 3D thingie becomes the defacto standard for browsers, and in
that case I might wanna publish my models as original DATs as well as the
converted forms.

In terms of LUGNET, I also would like to be able to take a parts image
library and serve images made from the parts -- like what the Partsref is
doing, for example, but with multiple colors and, ultimately, multiple sizes
and perhaps even multiple output formats (GIF, PNG, VRML, etc.).

--Todd

[1] wow, both "humorous" (o/ou) and "humourous" (ou/ou) look funny. :-)