 CAD / Development / 5279
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:23:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide wrote:

I think redistribution is too vague, we should have different
conditions for unmodified and for modified versions of the library.

I agree.

My
simplified view of how things should be:

- Anyone is free to redistribute unmodified versions of the library
(unmodified includes conversion to another format without changes to the
content) if they only charge a small fee, give credit to the authors and
include the license.

What does 'conversion to another format' mean?  Do you mean converting the
ARJ archive to ZIP format?  How about converting the ASCII data to EBCDIC?
Or doing a straight conversion to a binary format?[1]  How about
reorganizing the directory structure?  How about unarchiving the
distribution file, and posting all the files individually on a webserver?

- Anyone is free to redistribute modified versions of the library if
they give credit to the authors, list their changes and publish the
changes to existing files under our license. New files added to the
library can have any license.

"give credit to the authors" needs to be defined more clearly.  Right now,
it's very difficult to give credit to each author.  Over time, this will
probably become even more difficult.  How about "give credit to ldraw.org"
or "give collective credit to the authors".

I'm not sure about "list their changes".  How about requiring that they
flag each file they change, by adding a comment to the file header?

Also, they may *not* mark new files with the tags "Original LDraw
[Part|Primitive|Subpart]" or "Official LCAD [Part|Primitive|Subpart]".

Finally, I'm not sure about the advisability of stating "New files add to
the library can have any license".  (A) We can't *tell* them how to
distribute their own property, (B) How are downstream users going to know
which are which?  I'd rather require that new files either a) be
distributed separately/distinctly from the library or b) new files be
distributed under the same terms.

--
Steve
1) BTW, truly 'dumb' conversions to binary (where every parameter is