 CAD / Development / 5285
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:05:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner wrote:

"Pat Mahoney" <patmahoney@gmx.net> writes:

It could probably be argued that since the parts represent physical
things, they [the data in the library] are just "discovered"
measurements of empirical data.  They are not "created" and therefore
not copyrightable.

This is true, however the creation of parts is not merely a mechanical
process -- the author does actually go through a creative process to
model a part.  This is because the author has to choose which details
to model and which primitives to use.

This is a good point, and I agree with it.  I don't know if it has anything
to do with copyright or not.

So I would say that most LDrawn parts, except the most basic ones, are
indeed copyrightable.

As I understand it (and IANAL), 'copyright' applies to the expression of
ideas.  So you can hold copyright on a file, which prevents others from
duplicating that file (with various allowances and restrictions).  But they
are free to use the ideas expressed in that file.

When it comes down to it, the LEGO Company holds the IP rights to all these
measurements and patterns and ideas.  We part authors have *no* right to
any of these numbers.  We can and do have copyright on their expression, in
the part files we create.

Steve