 CAD / Development / 5227
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:49:37 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

Why would commercial endevours be unacceptable?  I can't see the point of
drawing the line between commercial and non-commercial use.  If someone can
figure out a way to make money by adding value to what we've done, more
power to them.  Remember, they are required to credit ldraw.org and provide
a link to www.ldraw.org.  So anyone who buys their stuff will know where to
get the real deal.

  I think we should have something saying that if a person updates a
.dat file then they must also make the changes available to ldraw.org
under this license (and ldraw.org might accept the changes or not).

Maybe we should require republishers to provide the linke *before*
purchase/download.

  I don't think that's needed, maybe only before purchase.

Uh, I don't see that at all.  In fact, I'd rather *prohibit* redistribution
than require/allow 'registration' of redistributions.

One problem with requiring registration is if we all fall off the face of
the internet, and someone wants to redistribute the LCAD stuff.  If they
can't contact us, they can't register, and if they can't register, they
can't redistribute.

  I agree with Steve here. If LeoCAD becomes part of Debian then you
would ask every mirror to register with ldraw.org ? That would be too
restrictive.

But I'd still rather allow redistribution, open-source style, and
*encourage* people to point to the source, rather than redistributing.  And
encourage them to tell us about the redistribution.

Check out the povray.org licensing - I like what they have done with their
redistribution cost rules for POV.  We should set some sort of a dollar
limit.

Wanna quote the relevant bits, or point me to a webpage?

  www.povray.org

  Please don't use the POV-Ray license, do you remember the problems it
caused with the LDraw CD ? Having to fill at least xxx MB of the CD.

Leonardo