 CAD / Development / 5236
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:10:07 GMT

Have you covered the case where a parts author submits
a new part for review, but because of errors the part
is rejected?  I think you should still have ldraw.org
retain rights to modify and distribute, so that someone
else could clean up the file and later include it in
the distribution.  Kind of blurs the definition of things
that are "in the distribution".

Top N Things I'd like to do with the parts library.

1) Include it on an LDLite CD, to be installed
with my install program, for convenience, and
combined as part of a single setup.exe file containing
both LDLite and the parts library.

2) Convert and group the files into compressed tar
archives, for space efficiency.

3) Convert everything to extended-DAT file syntax
(e.g. the LDLite syntax and use .ldl file extension,
or a binary format), and modify existing files
(like stud.dat) using the new syntax (like cylinder
primitives).
Issue: do I have to document the extended syntax? Do
I need to submit the modified stud.dat, even though
it is not in a useful form?

4) Provide an "import" or "upgrade" menu option that
will import the latest parts from ldraw.org, automatically
modify them, and add them to LDLite. This would be done
by having LDLite fetch the parts from a server,
either one at ldraw.org or one I design and provide.
Issue: Ideally, I'd like to not confuse a new user, so in
the interest of seamless software, I'd like LDLite to fetch
the new files all by itself without user interaction, and
certainly not pop up a license dialog box every time it does
a parts file update.

-gyug