 Robotics / RCX / *5855 (-100)
  maximum number of variables in RCX2 ?

When using the RCX2 target, the NQC manual (Section 2.2.4) states that 32 global variables, and 16 local variables (per task) are allowed. Does this mean that the whole program can only have 48 variables total when using only one task, ie. "main" , (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: problems using firmdl3 and dll on Red Hat 6.2

(...) That file should just be a soft link to /etc/rc/init.d/gpm (or ../init.d/gpm), so there's no need to keep it. ROSCO (23 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.8

John Hansen wrote: > In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Stef Mientki writes: > >>I know the cause, you know the solution ;-) >> >>The size of BricxCC when opening the first file, depends on the SIZE of >>the file to be opened. >> 8 bytes, window stays as (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.8

(...) Yes that's exactly what I'm trying to say !! To day I had an even stranger experiences: 1. the size of BricxCC became smaller after opening the first file, still depending on the size (or is it the content) of the file 2. in one of the tests I (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: problems using firmdl3 and dll on Red Hat 6.2

(...) Oh, on the console you might have gpm running, which allows copy-paste on the console with the mouse. As root, run '/etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm stop' and see if it gets better. To turn that off completely edit /etc/sysconfig/mouse and set (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: problems using firmdl3 and dll on Red Hat 6.2

It is working! In case anyone else encounters this issue... here is the solution. Per Geoff Gerrietts: (...) I just moved the file to /unused (in case I wanted it back) and reboot'd. IR communication is working perfect. Thank You Geoff! <snip> (next (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.8

(...) Well, I'm stumped. I cannot get the behavior you describe to occur no matter how hard I try. I'm not sure what you mean by "I know the cause, you know the solution". Have I understood your description of the problem correctly? Are you saying (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

"Joseph Woolley" <jwoolley@spamblock....ht.rr.com> wrote in message news:GrqxJG.Cwq@lugnet.com... (...) to (...) Also, when I installed RH, I had a mouse connected to the same serial port. I am wondering if the mouse driver is still loading and (...) (23 years ago, 18-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  problems using firmdl3 and dll on Red Hat 6.2

I recently cleared off my laptop HD and installed Red Hat 6.2, then downloaded and installed all the packages listed in the legOS HOWTO... but have run into a couple snags. 1st and most important, I am not able to send anything via the IR Tower. (...) (23 years ago, 18-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.8

hi John, thanks for your attention. I know the cause, you know the solution ;-) The size of BricxCC when opening the first file, depends on the SIZE of the file to be opened. 8 bytes, window stays as it is 256 bytes, blows the window up to about (...) (23 years ago, 18-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.8

(...) I can't duplicate this behavior. I think it might have something to do with those pesky DSK files (maybe?). Can you check to see if the files listed in your recent file list have associated desktop files (*.DSK)? Thanks, John Hansen (23 years ago, 18-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Connecting a non-Lego motor with external battery to the RCX

(...) If the motor runs on 9V anyway, just hook it up to RCX directly (assuming it only draws 500ma). If it needs more than that, hook an external battery up to it via a power transistor (either bipolar or FET). You'll need a resistor in series with (...) (23 years ago, 17-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

I'm not sure if anyone is trying out my multiplexor patch, but thought I'd let you all know that I posted a new version which works better and solves some problems in the earlier revision. The patch is available in the legOS patch section on (...) (23 years ago, 17-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.8

hi John, everything seems to work fine now, I couldn't get it slowed down. A funny effect, everytime you start BricxCC, it sizes to the previous size, ok. Now opening a file (from the recent file list), BricxCC fills the whole screen. Thanks for the (...) (23 years ago, 17-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Connecting a non-Lego motor with external battery to the RCX

I need to connect a non-Lego motor to the RCX, and use an external power supply such as a 9V battery to drive the motor. Any suggestions as to how I should do this? (23 years ago, 16-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.8

Hi John, I've played a bit with 3.3.3.8 release, and I didn't experience slowdown (it needs confirmation, but you seem to have fixed that!) The new installer went fine on my machine. I miss a feature: some mean to conveniently switch between open (...) (23 years ago, 16-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Using USB Tower with Alternative Firmware

Hi, AFAIK only the following changes need to be made to a COMM-driver to work with USB (Windows only): First of all the Lego-USB-Driver has to be installed (happens automatically when you install the MindStorms/RIS-software). (In Control Panel the (...) (23 years ago, 16-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.8

(...) I'll let you know... (...) My sanity thanks you! (...) Thanks again! (...) You never fail to impress me with the speed of your updates. Don't tell my employers though, they'll expect the same from me. ;-) Matthias Jetleb (23 years ago, 16-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  BricxCC release 3.3.3.8

I am hesitant to announce that I've uploaded a new version of BricxCC to my website. This release comes in a full-featured install executable. As a result the download is a bit larger (i.e., 1.6MB). This release hopefully will fix the problems some (...) (23 years ago, 16-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.7

(...) This is great! I'm glad more than one user is experiencing this as that makes it more likely I'll be able to figure out the problem. Can any of you three who have reported this problem run a few tests for me? I haven't yet been able to (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.7

(...) Whoops. I totally screwed that up. I apparently put an old EXE in the ZIP file. I need to seriously improve my configuration management! :-) Sorry about the mixup. I'm not going to release again until I'm sure I've tracked down and fixed the (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Power to RCX

(...) Yes, but any regulator would convert power uselessly into heat, probably too much if you use a much higher voltage and draw some current. It would be better to use higher voltage motor controllers directly (if they exist). And of course this (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Power to RCX

(...) Utter nonsense until you destroy the controller itself. Remember, while the Lego motors can take a fairly substantial voltage without being destroyed, the same is not true of the motor controller within the RCX. There is a voltage limit for (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: firmware & NQC - free?

This is my dilemma: I work for an organization that encourages schools to teach engineering through the RIS using NQC. I'm creating very detailed instructions on how to install NQC and using firmware, etc. Now since this is a package of information (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: firmware & NQC - free?

Yes, it is available here (URL) (along with a firmware download program - this one is Windows only) Philo www.philohome.com (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  firmware & NQC - free?

Is there a firmware version available that I can get for free that will work with NQC on any platform (Mac, Win, Linux)? Thanks Jenny (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: linux USB driver.

Hi Hans, I think 2.4.9 is too old, but you may try to just remove the MODULE_LICENSE stuff. Jürgen (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Power to RCX

(...) Yeah!!! That's exactly what I wanted to know! (Aka "How to connect RCX for dummies" (that's what I am - electronics isn't hobby of mine) Thanks a lot! Have a nice day Rob (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Power to RCX

(...) Putting a regulator in front of the motor controllers would be utter nonsense IMHO. (...) Plus the data sheet of the motor controllers. Jürgen (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) Excuse my ranting, but... Bricx-anything doesn't appeal to me (1); I'm not fond of the "cx" pronounced at the end. Why not "Brick" or "Brix" instead? BrixCC and BrixOS work, as do BrickCC and BrickOS. Ian (1) I dunno why; but it's a (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) You could also try BricxOS (in a similar fashion to BricxCC), which also happens to have RCX in it. Martin (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) me, (...) written, (...) and/or (...) Well, even though it has a few Unix-ie functions, I don't really see it as a -nix. My personal favourite is NogOS (for Marcus), but BrickOS is good, too. ROSCO (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) Basically four things: 1) Getting a sourceforge account and having me designate the person a maintainer. 2) Using sourceforge CVS to maintain the canonical CVS tree for legOS; this is basically very typical CVS stuff- committing the incoming (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

Luis, What is involved with being the "maintainer" of the project under SourceForge? Ed (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) For me, BrickNix is good. But it sounds very far away from legOS. I think I like robOS more. It looks and sounds like legOS. So my list is: 1 - robOS 2 - BrickNix I don't have a number 3 favorite. Did LEGO say anything about their feelings (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

I'm rather familiar with those pages :) Really, legOS is basically Mindstorms specific. Porting it elsewhere would be basically not worthwhile. And trust me, Markus has asked about legOS. Honestly, if that article had never been written, this never (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

There are actually several other trademarks owned by The LEGO Group and some guidelines to using the LEGO trademark. They can be found in their Press Kit on their web site (URL) retract my earlier statement that we should ask for usage of the name (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Power to RCX

There is a difference between a voltage regulator (which limits the maximum voltage applied to a circuit) and a rectifier (which turns AC into pulsed DC - to be smothed out by a capacitor - it also ensures that you can't connect a DC power source (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) ROS is already reserved for my upcoming Router Operating System... Please, please don't choose that name (I have no TMs or anything, but it would be nice not to choose that). (...) /~\ Eddie C. Dost ASCII ribbon campaign \ / ecd@skynet.be (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) How about RobOS? /~\ Eddie C. Dost ASCII ribbon campaign \ / ecd@skynet.be against HTML mail X / \ (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: linux USB driver.

Itried to install the linux usb drive on mu computer with redhat 7.2 and 2.4.9-21 kernel. It did not work, this is the error message returned. What's wrong? /Hans Karlsson [root@nisse usb_lego]# make cc -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) Just remember that Mindstorms and RCX are also trademarks. Jürgen (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

How about rOS or rcxOS? I think it should support USB in next relase. Zhengrong (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

Or what about brOS for Brick OS? Mike (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) How about msOS (for MindstormsOS)? Oh, wait, we'd probably have Bill on our tails with that one... ROSCO (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

It is a shame that the name legOS can not be kept. I think it describes the software perfectly. And if it can't be used in the future (which I suggest some begging and pleading here) I would have a name that has OS in it to best describe it. For (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Power to RCX

(...) Sorry, I am little confused. Does it mean that everything LEGO did was REMOVING DC adaptor hole to make difference between 1.0 and 1.5 version ? (talking about RCX hardware) and therefore i can connect my wall AC/DC adaptor directly to that (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.7

O.K. Well this is good news (sort of) I thought it was just me and my maxed-out P133 that had this problem. I sent an email to our favorite programmer on the weekend concerning it, but I was still not sure it was me. It appeared to me that the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  maths libraries and LPS

I am new to this newsgroup, so I hope I am not repeating information - I cannot find the solution to this from a search. I am porting a small maths library to the Lego brick at the moment (cos, sin, tan, sinh, cosh, tanh, acos, asin, atan, sqrt, (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  multiplexor patch posted

I've posted the multiplexor patch under the patches secetion of the legOS project at sourceforge. (URL) you can't follow that link just go to (URL) then follow the patches link and look for the multiplexor patch. If you improve upon it post the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.7

(...) I have the same kind of problem here (BricxCC release 3.3.3.5, Win2000, Athlon 1.3GHz, 512MB), but I can't relate that to the number of errors, perhaps more to the number of times the compiler is invoked. If I check CPU usage by Brixcc, it (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

"Michael Obenland" <obenland@t-online.de> wrote in message news:GrBqw5.KL4@lugnet.com... (...) A recursive acronym in the GNU style? KNEBL: KNEBL's Not Endorsed By Lego or snebl, fnebl... Should keep 'em happy :) Tim (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Sort of. Try Sourceforge ((URL) is on the "Patches" page (just click on the "Submit New" link). Great Job!! I am looking forward to be able to use the multiplexer finally! I've successfully added the "priority interrupt" patch to legOS 0.2.5 (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.7

hi John, Also version 3.3.3.7 is becoming very slow sometimes. But now I've another problem: how do I get my toolbuttons back in normal setting. This is an old problem, once you had a solution for it, but now it's back again. When you move quickly (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.7

hi John, you're faster then I can download the newer versions, thanks !! I'm just using 3.3.3.5 "tools" works great, but .... there's a very strange problem, which is not good reproducable: sometimes Bricxcc gets very-very slow (Win98 SE, Pentium (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

(...) That was not the cause for my RFC. You do a wonderful job! And legOS does it as well. No real overwhelming cause for doing a new release. (...) Well, not really. I wold favour other solutions first: - if you can go on with legOS-maintainance - (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Mindsensors IR servo controller

Hi I don't know if any robolabers have specific experience of this product (URL) It has caught my eye and would help in a current project - if the RCX can send the required IR signal under robolab control. What do people think, the info on the site (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  linux USB driver.

For anyone who want's it, I have a linux USB driver for the lego IR tower. If anyone is interested, the tar ball of driver and pathces to nqc and legOS can be found at: (URL) am hoping to reconsile my driver with the version that was being worked (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

I'm happy to report that after writing the multiplexor driver at the kernel level it's working! I'll post a patch soon once I've got it cleaned up a little bit. It looks like the problem was with the legOS power/read cycle in ds_handler. Once I took (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Alpha tester wanted

Does anyone have the following: 1. A serial Mindstorms IR tower; 2. A Mac running MacOS X; 3. A serial port or adaptor with MacOS X drivers? If so, would you like to alpha-test a version of Robot Controller with serial support? I have written some (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

It appears that the time has come for 0.2.6; it has been more than 18 months now since 0.2.5. I still lurk here, but my work with Free Software has consumed my time- even when I'm not paid, I'm pretty much a slave to bugzilla.gnome.org and (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6

I think it would be a very good idea to incorporate the prio-patch to legOS. But there seem to be a lot of patches and enhancements for 0.2.5. Personally, I use the remote control patch from Zhenrong Zang. And there is the TCP/IP system... Any more (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Priority Interrupt Patch and legOS-0.2.5

We are gathered here to witness the union of priointerrupt-patch.diff and legOS-0.2.5. If anyone has just cause why these two should not be wed may they speak now or forever hold their peace. Robert Templeton (23 years ago, 8-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

Still no luck in getting the mux working properly. I tried making use of the code for turning sensors on and off but later realized that the ds_handler code would still be turning the sensor off as part of its normal operation. I think I'm going to (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  BricxCC release 3.3.3.7

I've just uploaded a new release of BricxCC. Version 3.3.3.7 completes the implementation of the configurable Tools feature. Transfer item parameter macros are now functional. The major feature enhancement in this release, however, is the addition (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Real time operating system resources

Now that my interest has been piqued by the multiplexer problem (and sensing problem in general), what would some of you hardened embedded/real-time system veterans recommend for reading on the subject. Two books that I've found at Amazon.com are (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Power to RCX

Success! It works now, and gives 9.2 volts according to the RIS software. You were right, I did have it backwards. Thanks. (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) I'm just checking this thing out. You can look at: (URL) more information. Unfortunately, I got the .ps description file but not the source code patch file. A mail asking for it is on it's way ;) Mike (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Actually, something like this has been documented and done by Pedersen, Christensen, Rasmussen ("Prioritized Interrupts in LegOS"). They actually document the problem of sensor misses related to task management, significantly reducing the (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Most people's legOS kernels will be compiled so msleep uses wait_event. I haven't looked at the code, but my understanding of how wait_event works is that whenever that thread becomes eligible to execute, your even function is called. (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

Try the following code fragments. [Change to fixed spacing font so that it reads easily.] You should be able to find what you need. "Mark Falco" <> wrote in message news:Gr1MBL.Dop@lugnet.com... (...) <<..snip..>> (...) These are code fragment for (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

Ok, my last port didn't make much sense let me try that again. for an active sensor ds_handler will periodically power the sensor off to read the value. The standard firmware does this to but at a different interval. I'm wondering if this is part of (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

Since I'm now fairly sure that i've got the timing taken care of I'm wondering if the power cycling that ds_handler does is somehow causing the problem? I thought I might take control of this stuff in my test code. I assume if I set the sensor for (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) It looks like the semaphore task_sm should prevent another task from being scheduled if I hold it for the length of the train. I've now tried this as well as incresing the timeslice to 100ms. It looks better but still is not consistent. Since (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Not bad. But as you say, still vulnerable to the task switching problem. (...) Instead of resorting to that, maybe there is a way to freeze task switching during critical operations. When I owned and programmed the AmigaOS (don't laugh :), (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

#include <sys/time.h> void systime_set_timeslice (unsigned char slice); include/sys/time.h:43-45: #ifdef CONF_TM #define TM_DEFAULT_SLICE 20 file://!< default multitasking timeslice #endif hope that helps, Albert "Michael J Ash" (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) I agree about the cause for the msleep granularity, I'd seen the same stuff in tm and assumed that would cause the problem. Sorry my last note was a little unclear, I tried msleep and delay but am now using my own function which seems to (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) I don't know about this 20ms granularity and how delay() is going to be any better. Here's the code for each function: //! delay execution allowing other tasks to run. /*! \param msec sleep duration in milliseconds \return number of (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Thanks, I'd suspected that msleep might not be very accurate but never considered that it's true granularity could be so large. I did a quick test with my current configuration and when I asked msleep to sleep for 12ms it slept for 20. This (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: true tcp/ip on the RCX

(...) The C64 server survived the "Slashdot attack" without problems, even though it served tenths of thousands of pages over a period of only a few hours. Since it is configured to allow only 10 simultaneous connections, it could more or less serve (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

(...) Don't ask me for a cite, but I seem to remember something about msleep only having 20ms granularity. If that's the case, your msleep(10) is either not sleeping at all or is sleeping 20ms, either one of which could cause problems. I'd suggest (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: multiplexor and legOS

well anyone who looked at the code I attached may have notcied that I had one of the msleeps commented out. Oops, with this now uncommented I at least see the second and third light sensors pulse on, but only for an extremely short time. Suring the (...) (23 years ago, 3-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Power to RCX

Regarding the data sheet for the Melexis MLX1040B that everyone is talking about, and which I've been looking for for years.... This link: (...) (URL) comes back as NOT FOUND The fact that some people are claiming to have seen it implies that it was (...) (23 years ago, 3-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  multiplexor and legOS

Does anyone have expierence using the active multiplexor sold by www.mindsensors.com with legOS? If you are not farmiluar with this multiplexor it is really cool as it lets you multiplex three active sensors on one port. You tell the mux which "sub" (...) (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: "Local Positioning System" for lego-vehicles with mice

Hi, if you are interested : sources now available (URL) (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  LNP + USB under windows

Hi, has anybody experience in communicating with the RCX over USB (Windows)? So far I managed to get legOS working with the USB-patch from Jin Sato; then I tried to use winLNP, but it didn't work (the light in the tower is not blinking) Now I'm (...) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: true tcp/ip on the RCX

Ok, the website is up at: (URL) Christ (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Power to RCX

"Matthias Jetleb" <Jetleb@Netcom.ca> wrote in message news:3c5b6892.134862...net.com... [snip] (...) Check out this timely post: (URL) this is indeed the same part, then it looks like 12V is the max. (Figure 1 of the datasheet is a little confusing, (...) (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Power to RCX

I investigated this issue a while back an have taken apart all four of my RCX's (1.0 w. adapter, 1.0 w/o adapter, and 2 2.0's from an RIS1.5 and and RIS2.0). They all have internal voltage regulators. I've written the number down somewhere on this (...) (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Power to RCX

(...) Oops, me bad, I meant 7809. BTW, here are some links to online data sheets for that type of regulator: (URL) (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Power to RCX

Hi Trevyn, From the photo you posted, it appears that you have the input and output pins of the 7805 reversed. According to the datasheet, this will probably fry the regulator. I'd recommend getting a new part before continuing, so as not to risk (...) (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: true tcp/ip on the RCX

Cool stuff, congrats on the Slashdot recognition. Hope the "Slashdot Effect" didn't totally cripple your server. Wondering if you or Olaf could make the LegOS code available for all to see, just wondering how it was all done for educational purposes (...) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: true tcp/ip on the RCX

(...) [...] (...) A few days ago, Olaf sent me his legOS TCP/IP code which I have been running a few days, so I probably have the world's second TCP/IP-enabled Lego brick in my office :-) ! I was also able to squeeze in a simple web server, a few (...) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Power to RCX

Most "wall wart" transformers give about 3-5 volts above what is marked on them. I would not use one of these directly. However, I am currently working on using a 7809 voltage regulator. If you don't know, a voltage regulator is a small electronic (...) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Power to RCX

Hi all, I just got my new RIS Ver.#2, and I am far from being an electronic expert. I am wondering if a proper wall tranformer with an adapter inside the RCX to connect to the battery terminals would work for stationary application. Of course, I do (...) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  "Local Positioning System" for lego-vehicles with mice

Hello NG, i try to develop something like a local position system with a optical RF mouse (or other mouse-devices). If someone want to join or help for this little project please mail me. A very first result you can see at (URL) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Downloading Firmware

(...) I have an E-machine that uses Windows 98. Mark (23 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Downloading Firmware

(...) Maybe, but I'd rather incriminate motherboard/OS/USB drivers. What do you use ? Philo www.philohome.com (23 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Integer-based arctangent2 function for anyone interested

After scouring the internet for several days and even utilizing Jack Crenshaw's wonderful book "Math Toolkit for Real-time Programming", I was unable to find a good, general iatan2(y,x) function. Note that this is the atan function that takes as (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Downloading Firmware

I am trying to download the firmware to the ris 1.0 & 2.0 using the usb tower but it won't finish, the rcx only counts to 200-300 & is different all the time. then it says the tower is disconnected, when i didn't even touch it. BUT the serial tower (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact