 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2290
Re: RFC: Creation of Version 0.2.6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 17:11:29 GMT

It appears that the time has come for 0.2.6; it has been more than 18 months
now since 0.2.5. I still lurk here, but my work with Free Software has consumed
my time- even when I'm not paid, I'm pretty much a slave to bugzilla.gnome.org
and bugzilla.ximian.com, and I haven't even taken my RCX out of the box since I
moved to Boston. So... it seems like someone needs to step up to the plate and
become the new maintainer. Michael, your email screams 'volunteer' :) but
clearly others may be more interested or have more time.

Some other thoughts that might be worthwhile:
*Anyone who wants to take over will need a sourceforge account; I'm more than
happy to give the appropriate privs.
*the next release should have a new name; Lego never contacted me but they did
speak to Markus and requested that the new release have a new, non-infringin
name. It would seem that with all the new functionality, it might be
appropriate (even) to call the new release a 1.0 release of whatever the new
name is.
*Somewhere in my Inbox are buried release scripts; I'll dig those out for the
new maintainer.
*All this new functionality is great; most of it should be optional to keep the
kernel small. It's already bloated enough as is. :)

Anyway, this is a sad email for me to write, and I apologize to all of you that
I didn't write it early and allowed legOS to stagnate for this long. I always
hoped I could get back to it but it is clear to me now that that will not
occur. Please let me know directly or write to the list if you are interested
in maintaining; I'll do everything I can to make this changeover quick and
smooth.

Luis

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Michael Obenland writes:
I think it would be a very good idea to incorporate the prio-patch to
legOS. But there seem to be a lot of patches and enhancements for 0.2.5.
Personally, I use the remote control patch from Zhenrong Zang. And there is
the TCP/IP system... Any more patches out there?

On the other hand, an OS is meant to be only as a "support" system for a
user program. That means that is is not allowed to eat up all available
memory for itself. LegOS' system of #defines in the config file is a very
good way to strip the OS as needed.

I propose the following: Let's create the next step of legOS out of

o legOS 0.2.5
o the remote control patch
o the prio-patch
o the TCP-patch