 Robotics / RCX / 1606
Re: Power to RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:40:09 GMT

There is a difference between a voltage regulator (which limits the
maximum voltage applied to a circuit) and a rectifier (which turns AC
into pulsed DC - to be smothed out by a capacitor - it also ensures
that you can't connect a DC power source backwards).

The RCX's all have voltage regulators. That's why you can put in 9V
worth of batteries while the internals (except motor controllers) run
at only 5V. So, yes, you can hook up an adapter directly to the
battery terminals so long as it is:
a) a DC adapter - the lego trains use AC ones which can be
used on a 1.0 RCX (with external plug)
b) the adapter must have internal filtering (not just a
rectifier) since the capacitor in the later 1.0 and 2.0 RCX's isn't
nearly has high in value as the (I think) four that were used in the
early 1.0's. I'm not sure if the smaller capacitor will remove enough
DC ripple, particularly under load.
c) you must remember to hook the adapter up with the correct
polarity.
d) the adapter must not produce more than 12V. The motor
controllers aparently have a 12V maximum and I haven't found any
evidence of a regulator for them. I'd kill for an official schematic
of the RCX's.

Matthias Jetleb