 Robotics / RCX / 1617
Re: Power to RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:55:06 GMT

Hi every one,

Thanks for all your help on my previous inquiery.

My other idea is, to power my newly acquired Scout with a Solar panel.

The Solar panel (car battery saver) is 12V at ~70mA; which I intend to
connect a Voltage converter (ready made with cigaret lighter plug), to get
down to 9V.

Can it be safe?  I assume, that the solar panel does not give out dangerous
spikes, and it is strictly DC.  Its nominal voltage of 12 is further
reduced, so hopefully it will not give too much to the Scout.  The Scout
itself will not forget its basic OS, so in stationery applications I seem to
be O.K.

Are my assumptions valid?

Regards...

Steve

"Robert Seifert" <seifrob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Matthias Jetleb writes:
So, yes, you can hook up an adapter directly to the
battery terminals so long as it is:
a) a DC adapter
b) the adapter must have internal filtering
c) you must remember to hook the adapter up with the correct
         polarity.
d) the adapter must not produce more than 12V.

Yeah!!! That's exactly what I wanted to know!  (Aka "How to connect RCX • for
dummies" (that's what I am - electronics isn't hobby of mine) Thanks a • lot!

Have a nice day

Rob