 Robotics / RCX / 1598
Re: Power to RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 00:57:30 GMT

Most "wall wart" transformers give about 3-5 volts above what is marked
on them. I would not use one of these directly. However, I am currently
working on using a 7809 voltage regulator.

If you don't know, a voltage regulator is a small electronic device with
three pins - Input, Output, and Ground. If you connect a supply that is
at least 3 volts higher than your output voltage, you will get your
output voltage, in this case 9 volts.

See http://members.rogers.com/swatsons/power1b.jpg for a picture of what
  I'm doing. It doesn't work yet, but I think that may be because i
wrecked the regulator by heating it too much (with my soldering iron).

I saw a web site where someone described how they did this, but I
haven't been able to find it again.

HTH

Trevyn.

Istvan TAKATS wrote:

Hi all,

I just got my new RIS Ver.#2, and I am far from being an electronic expert.

I am wondering if a proper wall tranformer with an adapter inside the RCX to
connect to the battery terminals would work for stationary application.  Of
course, I do not want to ruin my new toy.

Could anyone knowledgable please enlighten me on this topic?

Thanks...

Steve