 Robotics / RCX / 1601
Re: Power to RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 04:38:00 GMT

I investigated this issue a while back an have taken apart all four of
my RCX's (1.0 w. adapter, 1.0 w/o adapter, and 2 2.0's from an RIS1.5
and and RIS2.0). They all have internal voltage regulators.
I've written the number down somewhere on this mess I call a desk and
now I can't find it, but I do recall that it's a National
Semiconductor Part of the 78M05 family IIRC.

Anyway this thing accepts a maximum input of 54V (no kidding) while
providing a regulated 5V output over the full current range of the
device (which isn't great, but it only powers the CPU and related
components, not the motors). You're safe there with any reasonable
wall transformer, but the part that I'm not too sure about is the
Melexis MLX1040B used to interface the CPU to the motors. I wish I had
a schematic to see how this is connected within the various RCX
motherboards. I'm certain the control portion of these chips must be
run from the regulator, but the power portion likely isn't. The only
question is: how much voltage can the motor ports take? I've never
been able to find a data sheet for the MLX1040B to find out. I suspect
though, given that it is intended to drive inductive loads, that it
could withstand considerably higher voltages than 5v, but I've never
dared to try it without more data.

Matthias Jetleb