 Robotics / RCX / 1611
Re: Power to RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:45:55 GMT

Jetleb@Netcom.ca (Matthias Jetleb) writes:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:24:17 GMT, Juergen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
wrote:

Jetleb@Netcom.ca (Matthias Jetleb) writes:
d) the adapter must not produce more than 12V. The motor
controllers aparently have a 12V maximum and I haven't found any
evidence of a regulator for them.

Putting a regulator in front of the motor controllers would
be utter nonsense IMHO.

Utter nonsense until you destroy the controller itself. Remember,
while the Lego motors can take a fairly substantial voltage without
being destroyed, the same is not true of the motor controller within
the RCX. There is a voltage limit for it.

Yes, but any regulator would convert power uselessly into heat,
probably too much if you use a much higher voltage and draw some current.
It would be better to use higher voltage motor controllers directly
(if they exist).

And of course this comment applies to designing the RCX,
not to building ones own power supply to replace the batteries.

I've tested my motors (well,
one of them anyway) up to 20V for brief periods. I've never tested one
to the point of failure, so I don't know what they actually can take.
The data sheet on the controller (http://www.sploids.com/10402.htm
and announced here: http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=17203)

I missed that one, thanks for pointing it out.

indicates a maximum of 12V (IIRC). Presumably the chip could take a
bit more than this before self destructing, but I leave it to you to
test it to the point of failure and let the rest of us know.

Don't hold your breath :-)

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>