 Robotics / RCX / 1610
Re: Power to RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 06:39:10 GMT

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:24:17 GMT, Juergen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
wrote:

Jetleb@Netcom.ca (Matthias Jetleb) writes:
d) the adapter must not produce more than 12V. The motor
controllers aparently have a 12V maximum and I haven't found any
evidence of a regulator for them.

Putting a regulator in front of the motor controllers would
be utter nonsense IMHO.

Utter nonsense until you destroy the controller itself. Remember,
while the Lego motors can take a fairly substantial voltage without
being destroyed, the same is not true of the motor controller within
the RCX. There is a voltage limit for it. I've tested my motors (well,
one of them anyway) up to 20V for brief periods. I've never tested one
to the point of failure, so I don't know what they actually can take.
The data sheet on the controller (http://www.sploids.com/10402.htm
and announced here: http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=17203)
indicates a maximum of 12V (IIRC). Presumably the chip could take a
bit more than this before self destructing, but I leave it to you to
test it to the point of failure and let the rest of us know.

Matthias Jetleb