 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1352
Re: BricxCC release 3.3.3.7
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:51:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Philippe Hurbain writes:
there's a very strange problem, which is not good reproducable:
sometimes Bricxcc gets very-very slow (Win98 SE, Pentium -III, 1 GHz, 512 MB
that should be enough ??),
It looks that this happens when you run the compiler a view times (with many, is
5 many ?)  errors.

I have the same kind of problem here (BricxCC release 3.3.3.5, Win2000,
Athlon 1.3GHz, 512MB), but I can't relate that to the number of errors,
perhaps more to the number of times the compiler is invoked. If I check CPU
usage by Brixcc, it stays low (between 0 and 3 %), then suddenly it jumps
and stay to 99%. Needless to say, there is a general slowdown ! Like Stef, I
have to quit Brixcc, then re-enter it to cure the problem.

This is great!  I'm glad more than one user is experiencing this as that
makes it more likely I'll be able to figure out the problem.

Can any of you three who have reported this problem run a few tests for me?
I haven't yet been able to duplicate the problem on my development machine.
I did run the EXE on a Win95 PC the other day and in two tests I managed
once to get the CPU usage to jump to 100% and stay there.  That sounds like
it might be an infinite loop on a background thread to me.  But it may also
somehow be related to changes I made to the way NQC is launched.

I'd like to rule out the CodeExplorer (which launches a background thread).
If you can get it to slow down with the CodeExplorer window closed then it
has to be something about the way I launch the compiler.

Thanks,

John Hansen