 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2315
2314  |  2316
Subject:
problems using firmdl3 and dll on Red Hat 6.2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:48:11 GMT

I recently cleared off my laptop HD and installed Red Hat 6.2, then
downloaded and installed all the packages listed in the legOS HOWTO... but
have run into a couple snags.

1st and most important, I am not able to send anything via the IR Tower.
When using firmdl3, I get "No response from tower." (or something very
similar).  I then used my Windows machine to download the boot/legOS.srec to
the RCX.  Using DLL, I tried to send demo/helloworld.lx and I receive an
error there as well.

Ok, here is what I have tried.  I tried a different tower (swapped with the
one connected to the Windows box) tried changing the battery, and tried
using setserial (ok, I was desparate).  Of course none of these things
helped.  Also, I noticed that if I put the RCX very close to the tower, the
RCX will flash the IR beam icon on the LCD display... once very quickly.

BTW, the light on the IR tower responds as expected when firmdl3 or dll
tries to send (IOW, it comes on and stays on for a short time)

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!
Joe

p.s. The second issue is that I am not able to 'make' the legOS srec file.
I get a 'make' error... but don't have the specifics here.  We can get into
that later 8-)