 Off-Topic / Geek / 911
Re: KDE/new Redhat install (was Re: Has anyone ever been)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 00:52:32 GMT

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 03:28:18 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:
Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:

MCSE always was 7 tests, since realistically you want +I added as well
;)

Actually, MCSE+I is 9 exams.  So I'll have 3 more to go. :(  Only
one after that to MCDBA, tho.

Really? My memory must be failing. Old age or something.

Really?  Everyone I've spoken to, either on the employee getting the
training side or the manager/employer paying for it says the norm is
to a) require a commitment from the employee to stay and b) a
commitment from the employer to raise the employee's compensation in
some way.

Uhm, exactly. I thought you were saying otherwise, so that was a bit
of a misunderstanding.

Actually, a) happens 100% as far as I can see, but b) is rarer.

I thought you were allowed pen and paper, and possibly even a
calculator in the exam?

Pen and wipe board, and a simple calculator.  Not the most useful
thing for binary.  Then again, I'm not too concerned about keeping

Heh. My "simple calculator" (Casio fx-115s) does binary, IIRC. Not
that I ever use it. Or that calculator, for that matter. wonder where
I left it. (It should tell you something that in six years of high
school, I went through four calculators due to losing the previous
one. Sure, I found em again after a few months, but still..).

all the subnetting tables in my head.  If there is one thing I
brought to my current profession from my former classical studies
it's a concern more for how to do things and where to find the facts
I need, rather than to commit every single one of them to memory. :)

One two four eight sixteen thirtytwo sixtyfour hundredtwentyeight.

There. Everything you need to convert BIN2DEC and back.

Man, sitting here right now tapping on my laptop stinks, but I wired
the phone jack in my computer room for the 2nd line in anticipation
of getting my ISDN setup tomorrow.  Sitting in the recliner is cool,
but I still need a decent mouse substitute and just a wee bit larger
keyboard...

What you need is a 100" TFT 10.000 lumen LCD rear projection screen,
1600*1200, a real keyboard (make it a www.pckeyboards.com model), a
real mouse or trackball (Logitech, and don't forget the ruddy wheel,
OK?), a DVD player in your laptop, and Quake II in the player. Or the
Matrix, whichever way your tastes go.

Oh, and Dolby Digital Surround 5 channel, and THX.

And an OC-3.

Jasper