 Off-Topic / Geek / 891
Re: KDE/new Redhat install (was Re: Has anyone ever been)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 02:29:00 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
I hadn't feared the 40 gig drive would give <6.1 fits I would have
scrounged around for my 5.2 or 6.0 cds...

6.0 is 2.2.7 or something, isn't it? Shouldn't that deal with 40G?

You got me.  I'm still very much a casual Linux user.  Maybe now
that I'm almost finished with the MCSE I'll have time to actually
sit down and do some reading instead of just hammering away and
reading an occasional man page.

Heh, took me long enough.  And the crappy thing is, I will need to
recertify in the Win2k track by the end of 2001.  Best thing,

Not like win2k should be more difficult than NT. I think with a book,
some practice, and just the $100 test you can probably pass it easily.

Well, there will actually be 4 new tests and I'm anticipating it
being quite a bit more difficult than the NT4 tests were.  The
Active Directory stuff alone is supposed to be a real bear.  4 new
tests for me, as an MCSE.  7 (instead of 6) for someone just
starting out.

though, is my employer is paying and has paid for 100% of the
training and tests.  'Course, the curriculum I'm developing and the
classes I will soon start teaching will save them close to $200k per
year, assuming they're wise enough to give me a raise, so they're
getting their money's worth.

And if they don't give you a raise, you walk? Won't you have to pay
them the training costs back then?

Not a dime.  My employer has never stipulated, either in written or
verbal form, that I owe them any length of employment after the
training.  Nor would I have agreed to one unless they had been
willing to commit to a specific raise amount.  That's how things
work in the real world, I've been told.

Some might call me ruthless or ungrateful, but I've been underpaid
for at least 2 years (without the training) for other reasons.  This
is, I'm told, still an employee-friendly job market.  No reason for
me to accept vastly substandard pay with the experience and now the
"credentials" I have.  Working for a state educational institution
may never pay 100% market rate, but this Classicist turned Geek
won't be working for 50% much longer, especially since Rachael has
warmed to the possibility of me taking a job that requires travel.

Passed TCP/IP today.  733 required - I got 900.  Mainly subnetting
that tripped me up, but in reality you don't subnet your 10,000 node
network in 60 seconds without the benefit of a calculator and a
chart, so I'm not upset.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/