 Off-Topic / Geek / 986
Re: KDE/new Redhat install (was Re: Has anyone ever been)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 00:54:27 GMT

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 16:23:52 GMT, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper
Janssen) wrote:

I've avoided Exchange because we don't use it anywhere I know of on
campus and because I heard so many bad things about it I figured I
could afford to skip it.  Kinda depressing when about 1/4 of the
jobs I was looking at last night mentioned Exchange administration.

At least you can easily skip those, then. Hey, in today's market, it's
about choosing an employer, not being chosen by one ;)

Yep.  Kinda funny, though.  I talked to my local MCSE buddy, the one
who got most of his experience in his current job doing OJT, and he
had lots of really good things to say about Exchange.  'Course, his
implementations are all small-scale, so maybe that makes a difference.

It's not that hard to get 5 or 6, or 20, NT capable (barely) PCs for
one or two grand. That should be enough to do serious load testing on
a lightweight (ie, pentium-I) server, surely?

20 yeah, 5 or 6, maybe.  Not many people have even 5 or 6 machines at
home.  Off the top of my head, out of all the computer geek friends I
have, only myself and my consulting partner are the only ones I know
who have 4 or more.  A couple have 3.  Most have 2.

'Course, my strategy anymore is just keep everything.  No trickle-down
donations to family or friends, no serious upgrades.  Just start
mostly fresh each time.  I might be up to 20 in a couple years. ;)

But really, what you need is an upgrade path - start off under a
competent admin at a medium-to-large site, move up to adminning a
small net, then to medium and eventually large networks.

Yeah, and that's mostly what I've done.  I'd characterize the stuff I
handle right now as on the medium side of medium to large.  5 servers,
probably 450 or so workstations, with probably 80% of those being PCs
running NT and the other 20% being Macs.  Couple dozen printers.

ObGeekToy: Compaq Armada 1750 - P-II/300, 64 megs of RAM, 4 gigs of
disk, 13.3" TFT 1024*768, CD, floppy, network, the works. And I only
get to install it, not play with it :=(.

No DVD? :)  Not a bad little machine.  Actually a tad faster than my
Tecra 8000, which runs at 266.  Still, I'd rather have the 128 megs of
RAM and 8 gig HD along with the DVD player in mine.  And if I weasel
the Aironet wireless gizmos away from my partner I will soon be able
to sit in my recliner and surf there without running a 50ft jumper
down the stairs from my router.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/