 Off-Topic / Geek / 994
Re: KDE/new Redhat install (was Re: Has anyone ever been)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 01:54:17 GMT

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 02:13:41 GMT, Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com>
wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jan 2000 16:16:21 GMT, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper
Janssen) wrote:

Ok.  So what do you mean by "completely different"?  I'm curious as to
what you see as the differences betweeen "ISP" adminning and
"corporate" adminning.  I've actually done ISP "helpdesk" stuff before
(in fact my last job was managing an office that did just that) but I
wasn't responsible for any of the essential servers...

Well, there are generally _much_ more users per server, per admin, and
per company. And they're all clients which have to be treated with
respect. And there'more bandwidth involved.

In general, though, the main difference is that as an ISP you don't
supply things like compute power, notes servers, exchange, etc. You're
in the business of, first and foremost, providing connectivity, 24
hours per day, 7 days a week. ISP business means dealing with telcos,
modem banks, peering points, core routers..

Mostly just different, much more hard-core geeky, cool toys to play
with.

And running an ISP solely on NT is pretty much insanity, whereas in
the corporate world, there may be rationalisations. There are ISPs
which run solely NT, but they're the very large ones (like AOL, Verio,
etc.) which think they can afford a bit of inefficiency there.

Ok.  I'll be looking for the email...

I'll be writing it right after posting this.

The tosh had it separate, and since the CD burned out, I've used it
more than before. I reinstalled win95 from floppies, thrice.

UGHT.  Installing anything from floppies sucks.

When there's 1, up to maybe 4, it's not a big problem.

Win95 comes on 31 floppies.

Keeping up with the joneses, you know.

Or the Janssen's...

Same thing, different language ;)

for it.  I have other remote admin options, although I'm going to take
a look at the SSH-enabled free whose name escapes me right now -
multiplatform, small, a little slow, but free, and free is good.
$Free or OpenSores free?

$Free.

Did you happen to find the name yet?

Jasper