 Off-Topic / Geek / 1000
Re: KDE/new Redhat install (was Re: Has anyone ever been)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:50:35 GMT

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 03:17:28 GMT, Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com>
wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 01:54:17 GMT, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper
Janssen) wrote:

Yup.  I've moved kinda from that to a more corporate-type atmosphere,
although several of our labs are open 24/7, so when I say I keep my
servers running I don't really mean I only need them running from 8-5.

Oh, that usually is the case - but universities and corporate
environments do tend to be more forgiving of late-night downtime than
ISP, as far as I can tell.

thing) and do real ISP admin stuff earlier this year, mainly because
it was also going to involve a good bit of customer support, something
I'd grown tired of.

You and everybody else in the business, apparently.

Heh, I'd never try to do it with NT.  I think NT is fine for what we
use it for, and it's fine for other medium-load stuff.  But I wouldn't
want hundreds or thousands of people to depend on NT boxes to get
their Web fix.  Or to do their online shopping, for that matter,
although far too many stupid companies seem to be going that route.

barney:~$ telnet www.hotmail.com 80
Trying 216.32.243.7...
Connected to www.hotmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 SSLeay/0.9.0b
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 11:43:02 GMT

Not that they haven't _tried_, mind you.

VNC?  I'll try to find the URL for the SSH-enabled version I wanted to
play with.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ ? (I love google..)

Has a link to using SSH with VNC as well.

Jasper