 Off-Topic / Geek / 877
Re: KDE/new Redhat install (was Re: Has anyone ever been)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 01:33:01 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
idiot-proof installer, imo.  Selecting individual packages was such
a major pain in the a, err, buttocks.

I've heard about that. I haven't heard of anyone who actually liked
it.

Me either.  My two co-admins and I just sat there and barely
contained our urge to vomit while we went through the installer.  If
I hadn't feared the 40 gig drive would give <6.1 fits I would have
scrounged around for my 5.2 or 6.0 cds...

But everything ended well.  It saw my 39gig drive just fine and even
though it took 4 hours and 5 minutes to format (checking for bad
blocks after all the screwing I had done with the drive on the
earlier install) it worked just fine.

I suppose that says something about IDE, large drives, and servers.

Yeah.  If I had more money to blow (I don't - especially after
buying my new TV and still needing a new DD/DTS receiver/speaker
package) I'd have SCSI in that box, but it's purely personal and
non-production, so I don't mind.

Ramble, ramble.... TCP/IP test tomorrow.  2 tests this week and I'm
MCSE.  Then I start CNE.

Stop it, you're making me jealous..

Heh, took me long enough.  And the crappy thing is, I will need to
recertify in the Win2k track by the end of 2001.  Best thing,
though, is my employer is paying and has paid for 100% of the
training and tests.  'Course, the curriculum I'm developing and the
classes I will soon start teaching will save them close to $200k per
year, assuming they're wise enough to give me a raise, so they're
getting their money's worth.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/